sidebar { width: 226px; float: right; } > /* Bottom layout */

Liberal TreeHugger

I am a conservative but unlike the current breed of "conservatives" I do not believe that the Republican Party is conservative. The current administration is hell bent on spending money taking away rights and playing a shell game with our taxes. I am starting this post to be a direct assault on the radical conservative movement that seeks to distort the record, lie and dupe the American voters into believing they care, are right, and are conservative.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

More Republican Compassion

My brother has insisted that the liberals and Democrats are heartless and uncaring and conversely that Republicans or conservatives are compassionate, caring and serve the best interest of all Americans.
I was interested in how he came to this opinion and if there were any examples of republicans doing anything to promote a compassionate agenda.
What I see is tax breaks for the top 1%, budget cuts for the social programs, education funding cut, and billions of taxpayer money going to Halliburton and subsidiaries. Not to mention unprecedented military spending on a new war that we can't win. Arrogance and selfish pride about our country. Our President has shown a remarkable unwillingness to see more than two sides to any issue.

So if we re-phrase Stew's position to "the conservatives are the ones who care about Americans as long as they work for Halliburton or on of their spinoff companies and those lousy Democrats only want to waste the taxes on poor people forcing them to be dependent and servile forever" then we get closer to something that makes sense to me.

Social programs, public education, assisted housing, and healthcare are issues that conservatives hate. How is it compassionate to deny a level playing field?

Who has grown up homeless?

Stew was homeless for a brief period when he was 18. Remember that? You relied on another family for compassion and depended on someone else to care about you.
If you had been forced to live under a bridge with a dirty blanket and a cardboard box would you have been able to land any job?

I doubt it.

Now don't get me wrong. People still have to be able to rise above adversity and struggle to make their lives better. So I am not calling for a free ride. All I am saying is that there are a lot of things that happen to us. Sometimes we get slammed hard.
It isn't drugs or drinking that did it. It isn't a lack of work ethic. It is just circumstance.
People born into a bad circumstance didn't ask to be poor. Why shouldn't the best country in the world have the ability to care and help these people have at least a chance to fail because they are lazy or addicted etc..? For every one loser I'm sure there are ten people who would work hard and try to make their world a better place.
It is easy to be wealthy and look down on the poor and say "Oh they are just lazy. I had to work for everything I have. I never got a handout..." but when you really look at your life, did you start out at the same place? Did you momma get a private room or were you born in a free clinic?
Try being poor and having a legacy of nothing vs. a legacy of the middle class and see how undeserving of a chance you think you are.

5 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Stop with the credible, logical, and well thought out comments already.

Those are reserved for stew.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog Tree Hugger. One would think you could be the alter ego for stew (lack of capitalization intentional)

Anyways I love it.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Mistake Master said...

Thanks Jenn!

Sometimes I get too serious.

Stew on the other hand is a bit irreverant and will play devils advocate for the purposes of engaging in a good fight.
Having said that... he has doen some pretty un-loveable things and by most accounts deserves the shitstorm he is in.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger MRSX said...

I had a whole comment for you and then I got a network error.

Something to do with Stew needing electroshock therapy. Us being happy hippies.

I think I may have quoted Country Joe and The Fish.

Thats about it babe. Going out tonight so will blog tomorrow. G'night!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home